Friday, July 17, 2009

More Training/Going Well



Have you ever been at a deer camp or bird hunting trip - and you are standing around a campfire - drinking the beverage of your choice and swapping stories and lies. And the quiet guy in the corner says "Ya'll ain't gonna believe this." You brace yourself and roll your eyes because you know you are about to hear a whopper. I may have to re-think my attitude.

Because - Ya'll ain't gonna believe this! I got out to road the dogs this morning and the temp was cooler than normal - probably in the 40s - but, I never thought I would that I would have to wipe heavy frost off the seat of my quad! We started roading 8 miles today, and we have started working on getting all the dogs broke. We worked 15 pups and dogs this morning. The big dogs we worked were Buster, Tech, Max, Lucy, Dot, Tucker, Star and Jackson.

They all did a great job for the first day with Tucker, Max and Buster standing the steadiest at the flush and shot.

We then started working the younger dogs in the puppy program. They were Maggie, Doc, Molly, Jakey, Collin, Hailey, and Trevor. They all did a wonderful job for the first day. But, Hailey was distracted easily and I am hoping that as the summer and her experience progresses she will do better.

Keith - Posting from Under the Rusty Windmill

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you are enjoying the cool weather! Yeah, when I bought Haley I don't think she'd ever been on the dirt before - much less ever smelled a bird. She took to pointing everything in the yard but birds. We took her to our lease but she chased and pointed little yellow butterflies! I bet if she figures it out she'll do just fine!

    I miss Collin and am glad he is doing ok. He's the one I'm hanging my championship dreams on!!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith,

    Frost huh?

    It's right around 80 degrees here for a daytime high. Nice but nothing like 40's in the morning.

    We are going through some pretty severe separation anxiety around here. Doc was becoming a pretty enjoyable family member. Glad to hear he is willing to get out and play with the other pups a little.

    ReplyDelete